We are eager to include on this page worship materials from a variety of faiths. Please send John Humphries (email@example.com) your suggestions about prayers and worship materials from your tradition.
- “Because It Is Wrong,” a sermon drawing upon the book Because It Is Wrong: Torture, Privacy, and Presidential Power in the Age of Terror by Charles and Gregory Fried. Download the sermon.
- Lessons from sacred texts: Religious foundations for Christian, Jewish and Muslim efforts to end the use of torture, prepared for June 2011.
Christian Worship Service Materials
- "Christian Worship Resources for Torture Awareness Month" provided by NRCAT for June 2012.
- "The Church Responds to Torture," a comprehensive resource from No2Torture and the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, PC(USA), that includes prayers and other worship resources.
- Prayers on Stopping Torture from the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, PC(USA).
- "Stopping Torture as a Human Rights Issue - An Order of Worship for Human Rights Day: December 10, 2006" from the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, PC(USA).
- "Advent Campaign Against Torture" by Bill Mefford, Neal Christie, and Clayton Childers, United Methodist General Board on Church and Society, 2006.
- "A prayer for our nation" by Kermit Johnson, from the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program.
- "Prayer of Confession for Sins Committed in Our Name"by Pastor Jim Peck, Congregational Church of Chico UCC, Chico, CA.
- Prayer Service for International Day in Support of Survivors of Torture (June 26) from No2Torture and the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program, PC(USA).
- Advent 2009 resource - this 15-page document, commissioned by NRCAT, provides commentary on the scriptures and sermon notes for all four Sundays in Advent and for Christmas Eve, and it includes an introduction and bibliography.
- "Torture: Morality and Accountability" by Thomas Ewell, preached January 10, 2010 at Unitarian-Universalist Meeting House, Whidbey Island, WA.
- "Will Heal" by Rev. Adam Blons, preached June 14, 2009 at First Congregational Church of Berkeley, CA
- "Being Outraged" by Pastor Jim Peck, preached May 3, 2009 at Congregational Church of Chico UCC, Chico, CA.
- "Breaking with the Past" by Quentin Chin, preached on Reformation Sunday, October 26, 2008 in Plainfield, MA.
- "On Not Taking Vengeance Against Our Enemies" by Tom F. Driver, first preached in Old Parish Church, Sheffield, MA, 08/31/08.
- "Torture IS a Moral Issue" by Reverend Rich Lang, Washblog, 07/05/08.
- Sermon notes prepared for June's Torture Awareness Month by Rev. Carol Wickersham, 2008.
- "Done to the Least of These" by Rev. Barbara Green, delivered in Houston, TX, October 2006.
- "Resistance" by Rev. Scott Alexander, River Road Unitarian Church, 6/4/06.
- "Who is Jesus Christ for Us Today?" by Dr. George Hunsinger, Princeton Theological Seminary, 5/1/06.
- Please see these sermons from Rabbis for Human Rights - North America.